The appliance the elliptical burns almost the same amount of calories as the treadmill, but it the sensation of effort is lower and the joints are spared. In it, you can burn 200 to 400 calories per hour and the physical fitness attained is practically the same as on the treadmill.
But in the wake has the ability to adjust the incline and speed, so that there is a greater caloric expenditure, and being even more beneficial to the bones. However, the impact on the joints of the knees and ankles is greater, which may lead to injuries.
Benefits of the Elliptical
The benefits of the elliptical are:
- In addition to working the muscles of the leg, works the pectoral, glass, biceps and triceps
- As the feet are always in contact with the device, the chances of injuries in the knees and ankles are minimal
- The feeling of effort is minor when compared to the treadmill
- There is less pressure on the hips and spine
- You can vary the workout to control the intensity. Focuses the exercise on the quadriceps to release the bar and do the exercise in reverse mode, causing the pedals to the back.
For all these benefits, one can say that the elliptical is more suitable for anyone who is very overweight, that does not have a good physical condition and for those who are recovering some injury, but do not want to stop working out.
However, to get the most out of the elliptical, it is recommended not to hold on the bars while sliding, since this decreases the percentage of VO2 max, which dictates the physical fitness, exercise intensity and caloric expenditure. But, if you do not have a lot of balance, grasp the bar with only 2 fingers.
Benefits of the treadmill
In addition to being a movement easier to accomplish, walk on the treadmill for 1 hour can burn 200 to 400 calories, depending on the intensity in which it is practiced. Other benefits of the treadmill are:
- Most of the muscles of the legs, in a proportionate manner, encouraging the body contour
- There may be more variation of exercises, according to the inclinations and speeds placed in the unit
- It is ideal for those who do not have a lot of balance
- Also works co-ordination and concentration
Whatever the unit chosen for the workout, it is important that there is alternation between them, so that the muscles and the tendons do not become accustomed to a particular movement, leading to the emergence of tendinitis, for example.